Happy holidays! It's a big week for lots of reasons, and no doubt you want to put your college applications out of your mind during your school break. But now is not the time to lose your momentum. This week we'll focus on three skills that matter not just for your college applications, but for other parts of your life as well.
Week 26 To-Dos
- Check your email, voicemail, texts, and snail mail for any communications that relate to applying to college. Read them and take whatever action is necessary.
- Update your parents about what you’re doing. This regular communication will work wonders in your relationship with your parents during this stress-filled year.
- If you've fallen behind with your regular decision applications, catch up this week.
- Interview with your regular decision schools.
Tips & Tricks
1. Prioritize. Success in the college application process depends on the quality of your school list, not on quantity. At this point in the admissions cycle, focus on your safeties and match schools. Limit your reaches.
2. Manage your energy and time. The final sprint is hard. You know your work habits the best, so focus your writing time on those parts of the day when you know you'll be most productive.
3. Maintain your integrity. It's crunch time, and that's when it can be most tempting to cut corners with application ethics. Be proud of your work and your applications. Don't cheat.
You can read more tips for submission logistics in chapter 22 of our book.
About the Authors:
Alison Cooper Chisolm heads the college admissions consulting practice at Ivey Consulting. She came to private consulting after working in admissions for more than 10 years at three selective universities (Southern Methodist University, University of Chicago, and Dartmouth College).
Anna Ivey is the former Dean of Admissions at the University of Chicago Law School and founded Ivey Consulting to help college, law school, and MBA applicants navigate the admissions process and make smart choices about higher education.
About the 52 Weeks to College Series:
52 Weeks to College is a week-by-week plan for applying to college. It breaks this complex and difficult project down into weekly to-do lists with supporting tips and tricks for getting it all done. Based on the Master Plan for applying to college found in our book, How to Prepare a Standout College Application, 52 Weeks to College is designed for any applicant who intends to apply to top U.S. colleges. For those of you who are just discovering the 52 Weeks series and want to catch up, click here.